Amazon’s Ring video doorbells catch fire because wrong screw used – BBC News

Publishedduration1 day agoimage copyrightGetty Imagesimage captionThe video doorbells use a screw to keep the faceplate and battery in place

Dozens of Amazon's Ring smart doorbells have caught fire or burned their owners after being fitted with the wrong screw.

The problem has prompted US and Canadian product safety officials to issue a formal notice, and Amazon to provide a revised instruction manual.

The issue is that if a longer, sharper screw is used at the device's base, it can damage the battery pack.

This causes it to overheat, which has led to property damage and injuries.

However, despite a "recall notice" having been issued, users are not actually being asked to send the devices back.

Instead, they are simply being urged to follow the new guidance.