Barry McGuigan and Carl Frampton settle bitter legal dispute out of court 

Barry McGuigan and Carl Frampton during happier times

Credit: ACTION IMAGES

Carl Frampton and Barry McGuigan’s bitter legal battle has been settled. The multi-million-pound case, which began at the High Court in Belfast in September, was due to resume on Thursday.

But the Lord Chief Justice’s Office said the dispute was resolved out of court in a confidential settlement.

Frampton said he was “extremely happy”, while his former manager McGuigan said his family “can now move forward” from a toxic feud that had dragged on for three years.

Before that, the pair had been a winning combination for eight years during which Frampton emulated his mentor by being crowned featherweight champion of the world, becoming Northern Ireland’s first two-weight champion in the process.

The 33-year-old’s subsequent defection to MTK Global saw McGuigan sue him for breach of contract and Frampton countersue over allegedly withheld purse money, a claim centring on earnings said to be in excess of £4 million.

Frampton was followed out of McGuigan’s Cyclone Promotions and into MTK by then-European middleweight champion Conrad Cummings, then-world lightweight champion Chantelle Cameron, Commonwealth and British bantamweight champion Lee McGregor, and unified light welterweight champion Josh Taylor. McGuigan won British Boxing Board of Control cases against both Cummings and Taylor following their defections but his stable of fighters has been decimated.

The blow was compounded by them leaving for a company that is not only one of the biggest boxing management firms in the world but was co-founded by an alleged £1 billion crime lord.

Daniel Kinahan has no criminal record but Ireland’s Criminal Assets Bureau told the High Court in Dublin in 2018 that he had “managed and controlled” the drug-trafficking operations of a notorious cartel which also smuggled guns into Ireland, the UK and mainland Europe.

Kinahan, whose lawyers have branded allegations against him “grossly defamatory”, cut his formal ties to MTK more than three years ago after he was allegedly targeted during a shooting at a weigh-in that led to its fighters being banned from competing in Ireland.

McGuigan laid bare the toll the Frampton saga had taken on him in an emotional interview with the Daily Telegraph in August.