Man Utd transfer round-up: Portuguese starlet’s release clause doubles amid interest

Video LoadingVideo UnavailableClick to playTap to playThe video will start in8CancelPlay now

Come on in and join the club! Get our daily Manchester United email newsletter

Sign me up!When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. OurPrivacy Noticeexplains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy noticeInvalid Email

Manchester United have a rare weekend off due to the international break, but there has still been plenty of transfer speculation.

The final break before the winter window has traditionally been a time for players vying for a potential move to start pushing for the exit door, and this year has been no exception.

It’s been a slow start to the season for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s men and the Norwegian coach is reportedly under pressure, with former Tottenham coach Mauricio Pochettino tipped to replace him.

Last year the arrival of Bruno Fernandes in January helped kickstart a major upturn in form that eventually saw the club secure a top-four finish.

And chief executive Ed Woodward may be hard at work identifying the next target to make a similar impact this year.

With all that in mind, here’s all the latest news and gossip coming out of Old Trafford.

Portuguese defender’s release clause doubles

(Image: Jose Manuel Alvarez/Quality Sport Images/Getty Images)

Read More
Related Articles


  • Bruno Fernandes opens up on criticism from his dad after Man Utd penalty miss

Read More
Related Articles


  • Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's first-ever Man Utd starting XI – and how it has changed since

ESPN report that Manchester United are keeping tabs on highly-rated Braga prospect David Carmo.

The 21-year-old centre-back has represented Portugal at Under-20 level and caught the eye in the Liga NOS, having broken through this year after making his league debut back in January.

The report goes on to state that United will only move for him if they can offload either Phil Jones or Marcos Rojo.

Rumours of the club’s interest emerged just a day after the youngster signed a new deal with Braga, with suggestions that his release clause was doubled from €20million to €40million, per Portuguese outlet A Bola.

Henderson told to leave to make England case

(Image: Mike Egerton – Pool/Getty Images)

Gareth Southgate has told Dean Henderson he must find regular game-time at club level if he’s to become England’s number one, according to 90min.

The 23-year-old Man United academy graduate has been promoted to David de Gea’s back-up this season after impressing on loan at Sheffield United over the past two seasons.

He was called up to the latest Three Lions squad, and made his debut in Thursday’s 3-0 friendly victory over the Republic of Ireland, after being brought on at half-time to replace Burnley’s Nick Pope.

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Click to play
Tap to play

The video will auto-play soon8Cancel

Play now

Reports in the summer claimed that Henderson “all but agreed” to move to Aston Villa before his parent club convinced him to stay at Old Trafford. Arsenal’s Emiliano Martinez made the switch to Villa Park instead.

Henderson is yet to make an appearance for United in the Premier League, with his three senior appearances so far this season coming in the League Cup and Champions League.

Bailly’s agent makes transfer admission

(Image: Laurens Lindhout/Soccrates/Getty Images)

Graziano Battistini, the representative of Eric Bailly, has admitted that they will assess the player’s options if he continues to be on the periphery of Solskjaer’s first-team squad.

We're testing a new site:
This content is coming soon

“The boy is in an important context such as that of United, before evaluating an exit there must be absolutely valid situations," he told Italian outlet Calcio Mercato.

“The Milan idea may have a logic, but we need to evaluate many implications, today we are talking about nothing.”

The Ivory Coast international was linked with AC Milan over the summer, but has remained at United, who he originally joined for a reported £30m fee back in 2016.

He received praise for his performances in the 3-0 Carabao Cup victories over Luton and Brighton early in the captain, but he hasn’t featured for the club since the 6-1 defeat to Tottenham at the start of October.

Sign up to the Mirror Football email here for the latest news and transfer gossip.