Christmas bonus coming for people on Universal Credit and other benefits

What the "DWP XB" payment on your bank statement means (Image: Getty)

Get our money-saving tips and top offers direct to your inbox with the Mirror Money newsletter

Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. OurPrivacy Noticeexplains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy noticeInvalid Email

Homes across the land are in line for a small top up on their benefits next month thanks to a Christmas welfare bonus.

That's after a spokesman from DWP confirmed to Mirror Money the payment would be going ahead in December.

And while it might not be enough to pay for the whole festive season, the one-off payment of £10 can offer a little help – and is entirely tax free.

Extra cash is available to people already claiming at least one of a series benefits, from carer's allowance to pensions credit.

The £10 is typically paid to people claiming benefits in the first full week of December, and won't affect any other entitlements you have.

That means the added payment won't increase your income during a Universal Credit assessment, for example.

People on a host of benefits get a little extra help at Christmas

Read More
Related Articles

  • Heartwarming new campaign to get children their first football kit for Christmas

Read More
Related Articles

  • Sign up to Mirror Money's newsletter for the latest advice and news straight to your inbox

You can claim if you live in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Gibraltar, a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland in the week when the payment is due.

Here are the benefits you need to be claiming in the first full week of December to automatically qualify:

  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance (paid under Industrial Injuries or War Pensions schemes)
  • Contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance (once the main phase of the benefit is entered after the first 13 weeks of claim)
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Incapacity Benefit at the long-term rate
  • Industrial Death Benefit (for widows or widowers)
  • Mobility Supplement
  • Pension Credit – the guarantee element
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • State Pension (including Graduated Retirement Benefit)
  • Severe Disablement Allowance (transitionally protected)
  • Unemployability Supplement or Allowance (paid under Industrial Injuries or War Pensions schemes)
  • War Disablement Pension at State Pension age
  • War Widow’s Pension
  • Widowed Mother’s Allowance
  • Widowed Parent’s Allowance
  • Widow’s Pension

Your benefits explained

  • Universal Credit

  • 30 hours free childcare

  • Personal Independence Payments

  • Tax-Free Childcare – what is it?

That means people on Universal Credit won't automatically get the extra £10 unless they also receive one of the above benefits.

"If you haven’t claimed your State Pension and aren’t entitled to one of the other qualifying benefits you won’t get a Christmas Bonus," the DWP site states.

Couples who both qualify will both get the extra payment.

If your other half doesn't get one of the qualifying benefits, they could still get an extra payment if:

  • You're both over State Pension age by the end of the first full week in December,
  • You're both a resident of the qualifying regions by the end of the first full week in December,
  • You're entitled to an increase of a qualifying benefit for your partner or civil partner,
  • The only qualifying benefit you're getting is Pension Credit.

The Christmas Bonus should automatically be transferred into the bank account your benefits are normally paid into – showing up as "DWP XB" on your bank statement.

If you haven't got it, and think you should have, contact the your nearest Jobcentre Plus or pension centre .