The fire started in a bedroom upstairs
Our free email newsletter sends you the biggest headlines from news, sport and showbiz
Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. OurPrivacy Noticeexplains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy noticeInvalid Email
A family lost everything they owned after a fire destroyed their home just weeks before Christmas.
The fire, which apparently started in a bedroom, quickly spread throughout the whole property in Fazakerley, Liverpool, destroying it.
Joanne Bresnahan, 43, said she was ordering a takeaway to be delivered to her home when she heard a "crackling" noise coming from her daughter Rebecca's bedroom.
When she went upstairs to check what was happening, Joanne found the bedroom "completely engulfed in flames", the Liverpool Echo reports.
Despite her efforts to try and put out the fire with buckets of water, it was already too late.
The fire caused the loft to fall
Get the day's biggest stories to your email – sign up for the Mirror newsletter
Couples who ditched city life to live in converted buses and how they saved a fortune
It is believed the fire started from a laptop in the bedroom before spreading all over the property, blowing windows out and causing the loft to fall through into the living room.
Joanne's niece Carla Bresnahan, 36, is now asking people to donate to a GoFundMe she set up to help her family.
Carla explained the family has already gone through a lot this year as Rebecca, 20, had a brain tumour removed.
Pictures shared of the family house show the extent of the damage caused by the fire – meaning they have lost everything they had.
Carla told the Liverpool Echo: "It was Saturday night and her daughter Rebecca was in the bedroom. She'd gone downstairs to order a Chinese and she was only downstairs about five minutes to place the order.
All the windows in the house broke too because of the fire
"Her mum Joanne heard a crackling noise or something upstairs. She didn't know what it was so she went upstairs to check and Rebecca's room was completely engulfed in flames.
"She's shouted to her partner 'there's a fire in Rebecca's room' and went down to get buckets of water.
"As they've gone back upstairs the fire was too bad for them to get back up. It was just so bad.
"They've got the dogs and gone outside, gone to the neighbours and called the fire brigade."
Carla said: "The loft is now in the living room. The fire brigade couldn't believe how quickly it's gone through.
"They've lost absolutely everything.
"Joanne's daughter has not long had a brain tumour removed. She's only 20.
"They've gone through so much this year."
Carla said Joanne and her partner Jason are currently staying in a hotel while Rebecca is staying at a friend's house.
The family have been told it will take nine months before they can move back into the property and they have lost all of their belongings.
Carla said: "Joanne's just in shock. She's trying to put a brave face on and keeps saying 'we're all still alive that's all that matters', but there's going to come a day when she breaks down.
"She was so embarrassed that I've put the page up and that people have been helping but of course we're going to help as much as we can."
You can donate to the GoFundMe page by clicking here