Video LoadingVideo UnavailableClick to playTap to playThe video will auto-play soon8CancelPlay now
Our free email newsletter sends you the biggest headlines from news, sport and showbiz
Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. OurPrivacy Noticeexplains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy noticeInvalid Email
Heavy snow and freezing rain is set to batter the UK this week, with warnings issued over potential power cuts and travel delays.
The Met Office has issued yellow warning in place until 9pm tonight saying heavy snow may affect parts of the East of England and the West Midlands with possible significant travel disruption.
Other areas across the UK could also be affected by snow and ice – see full list below.
Forecasters said there could be travel delays on roads stranding some vehicles and passengers, especially across higher routes, with potential for road closures.
There could also be delays or cancellations to rail and air travel.
Power cuts may occur and other services, such as mobile phone coverage, may be affected.
A man brushes snow of a car in Braco, near Dunblane in Scotland
Get the day's biggest stories to your email – sign up for the Mirror newsletter
UK weather: Heavy snow causes chaos as up to 12inches falls and schools forced to close
Untreated pavements and cycle paths might be dangerous or even impassable, posing a greater risk of injuries and accidents, the Met Office warned.
John Griffiths, a Met Office forecaster, dismissed any link to the widely reported "Beast from the East 2", simply saying the conditions are "normal" for the winter weather cycle.
He said: "On Thursday a band of rain, sleet and snow will hit parts of Scotland and northern England, which will slowly extend south to the Midlands as the day progresses.
"It is expected to be very cold in these areas, dropping below 0C (32F) in Scotland and parts of northern England.
Heavy snow in Hexham, Northumberland
UK weather warning for 14th January 2021
Heavy snow and freezing rain to smash Britain as temperature plummets to -12C
"This will start to gradually ease and die out during the evening, with frost and freezing fog coming in."
Mr Griffiths said Friday will "start cold and foggy", with most areas becoming dry and bright over the rest of the day.
He said a yellow weather warning is also in place on Saturday, which could see heavy snow across parts of Scotland to central parts of England.
Very snowy conditions in Leeds, West Yorkshire
(Image: Alex Cousins SWNS)
Areas which could be affected by snow and ice:
Central, Tayside & Fife
– Angus, Clackmannanshire, Falkirk, Fife, Perth and Kinross, Stirling
– Derby, Derbyshire, Leicester, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, Rutland
East of England
– Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Moray
Highlands & Eilean Siar
North East England
– Darlington, Durham, Gateshead, Middlesbrough, Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland, Redcar and Cleveland, Stockton-on-Tees, Sunderland
North West England
– Blackburn with Darwen, Cheshire East, Cumbria, Greater Manchester, Lancashire
SW Scotland, Lothian Borders
– Dumfries and Galloway, East Lothian, Edinburgh, Midlothian Council, Scottish Borders, West Lothian
– Argyll and Bute, East Ayrshire, East Dunbartonshire, East Renfrewshire, Glasgow, Inverclyde, North Ayrshire, North Lanarkshire, Renfrewshire, South Ayrshire, South Lanarkshire, West Dunbartonshire
– Staffordshire, Stoke-on-Trent, Warwickshire, West Midlands, Conurbation
Yorkshire & Humber
– East Riding of Yorkshire, North Lincolnshire, North Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, York