Brit found frozen solid months after his death in hut on top of 5,200ft mountain

The 36-year-old man, who has not been named, was living in the district of Bludenz, Austria (Image: Getty Images)

Our free email newsletter sends you the biggest headlines from news, sport and showbiz

Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. OurPrivacy Noticeexplains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy noticeInvalid Email

A British man has been found frozen months after he died while seeking shelter during an Alpine hike in a mountain hut at 5,200ft, unaware it was closed for the winter.

The 36-year-old man, who has not been named, was living in the district of Bludenz, Austria where he worked as a ski instructor in the winter and in the summer as a guide.

Police said that for unknown reasons the man had been in the mountains and moved into the Sarotla-Huette mountain hut to seek food and shelter.

The hut had already been closed and was last visited on November 15, when the route was still open and before the first snow fell and the arrival of the winter tourism season.

Officers said it was unclear if the British man had been caught unexpectedly while still high in the mountains, and had decided to seek shelter there rather than trying to make it back down into the valley, or whether he had been squatting.

Officers said it was unclear if the British man had been caught unexpectedly or had been squatting at the hut
(Image: Newsflash)

Read More
Related Articles


  • Storm Christoph: Terrified people barricade homes as flood fears spark major incident

Read More
Related Articles


  • First picture of British chef, 38, killed in Swiss Alps avalanche while skiing

They said that either way he had forced his way in, unaware that part of the procedure of securing the huts for the winter also involved removing the chimney and sealing it with a plate so that snow could not get inside.

This had been done on November 15 when the hut was last visited.

The man was said to have lit the fire, and died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Once the fire had died down, the inside of the hut then froze, freezing his body, which has only now been found two months later by two honorary members of the Austrian Alpine Association.

Police confirmed they are not looking for anyone else in connection with the man's death, saying he must have been unaware that the chimney had been sealed off with the metal plate.

A police spokesman said: "We believe he forced his way into the hut in order to spend the night there. We know that the body was there for some time, but the exact amount of time is part of the investigation.

"It's also unclear whether he was squatting there or had been seeking shelter overnight. We found some evidence that he had used a gas heater for a while, before then using the fire when that ran out."