Young family narrowly escape devastating fire that ripped through house in minutes

The fire tore through the three-storey rented house "within minutes" and has left Melissa – who doesn’t have house insurance – with nothing (Image: Melissa Nightingale)

Our free email newsletter sends you the biggest headlines from news, sport and showbiz

Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. OurPrivacy Noticeexplains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy noticeInvalid Email

A young family have been left devastated after a fire ripped through their home – destroying all of their possessions.

Melissa Nightingale, 32, said it was miraculous that she and her three children were out when the blaze happened on Monday night.

Ruby, the family dog, was inside the property at the time but managed to escape after a door was "blown off" and is recovering at the vets.

The fire tore through the three-storey rented house "within minutes" and has left Melissa – who doesn't have house insurance – with nothing, reports the Manchester Evening News.

A fundraising page launched to provide the family with some much-needed cash has already topped its target of £1,000.

Have you experienced a similar incident? Email [email protected]

A fundraising page launched to provide the family with some much-needed cash has already topped its target
(Image: Melissa Nightingale)

Read More
Related Articles


  • Mum caught Covid, gave birth while in a coma and is now fighting for her life

Read More
Related Articles


  • Mum, 38, dies from Covid after tragic phone call to husband saying she loves him

Melissa was out with her two youngest children at the time of the blaze while her eldest son Jack, 14, was with his friends.

The cause of the fire was found to be an electric scooter left leaning against a radiator in the hallway of the home in Bury, Greater Manchester.

Melissa said: “I can’t sleep, I’ve slept for around three hours since it happened.

"I’m just overthinking everything. I’m just gutted. I’m so upset and depressed – I don’t even know how to put it into words.

Melissa said it's "going to take a long time to sort the house out"
(Image: Melissa Nightingale)

"I just feel so down. I’ve lost everything I ever owned."

Melissa and her family are currently sleeping on the floor of her parent’s house while they arrange permanent accommodation.

Speaking about the moment she saw the fire, Melissa said: "It was around 7pm and my boyfriend asked me to go and drop some tablets off at work.

"I got my daughter and baby and we drove from Radcliffe to Ashton-under-Lyne.

Ruby, the family dog, was inside the property at the time but managed to escape after a door was "blown off"
(Image: Melissa Nightingale)

The blaze happened on Monday night in Bury, Greater Manchester
(Image: Melissa Nightingale)

"When we got back, the fire brigade was everywhere and the house was on fire.

"All my neighbours thought my son was in the house but he wasn’t thankfully. He was out playing.

"It was just my dog in the house and the front door exploded off and the dog got out.

"It’s mad how we were all out. I never go to James’ work and Jack hasn’t been playing out for a few weeks.

"The whole house was up in minutes. If we were in the house, we wouldn’t get out."

Melissa had hoped to salvage her toddler's favourite teddy but when the family were able to re-enter the property, all that was left was a leg.

She continued: "It’s going to take a long time to sort the house out.

"Everything is really badly damaged. If you open the drawers even the stuff inside is smoke damaged.

"We didn’t have insurance so we have lost everything. All three floors – everything is just gone."