Formula One set to make Monaco changes after damning Lewis Hamilton verdict

Video LoadingVideo UnavailableClick to playTap to playThe video will auto-play soon8CancelPlay now

Get email updates with the day’s biggest stories

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

Formula One bosses are set to make changes to the Monaco Grand Prix track after world champion Lewis Hamilton delivered a damning verdict of the current layout.

Monaco is routinely held up as the most glamourous race on the calendar, but it has faced criticism for the lack of excitement in its races.

The race takes place on a street circuit around Monte Carlo’s roads, but the tight walls make it largely impossible for drivers to complete overtakes in the Grand Prix.

The current regulations of the sport also means that the cars are larger than ever before, increasing the difficulty of drivers being able to follow each other closely.

Lewis Hamilton slammed the Monaco track layout after finishing seventh in Sunday's race

Monaco’s problems were clear for all to see once again last weekend, when Max Verstappen led virtually every lap of Sunday’s race.

There were precious few overtakes during the grand prix, with Verstappen’s Red Bull team-mate Sergio Perez only gaining his places thanks to a strategic pit-stop call.

It made the 78-lap race a virtual procession, with the only major talking point stemming from Valtteri Bottas’ pit-stop failure.

The lack of on-track action saw Bottas’ Mercedes team-mate Hamilton consigned to a seventh-place finish, with the Englishman unable to pass Pierre Gasly.

Read More
Related Articles


  • Max Mosley dead: Ex-Formula One chief and privacy campaigner dies aged 81

Read More
Related Articles


  • Max Verstappen wins Monaco Grand Prix on tough afternoon for Lewis Hamilton

That led to Hamilton being knocked off top spot in the world championship by Verstappen, who has now taken a four-point lead.

Following the race, the 36-year-old blasted current layout of the track and called for the sport’s bosses to make changes.

“I am glad the race is over because it was the longest race,” Hamilton said.

“I have been saying time and time again, it doesn’t matter what position you are in, this track is not fun to race on because you don’t see any overtaking and you cannot follow.

Who will win the Formula One world championship this season? Comment below.

“It is great when you win but even when you are leading and far ahead it is also boring so I am sure for Max it was a pretty chilled afternoon for him.”

It appears that Formula One will finally heed Hamilton’s call, with Ross Brawn, managing director of motorsport, stating changes will be looked at.

“It is Monaco and we have had a cursory look at it with nothing obvious, but we will keep trying,” Brawn said.

“It is a brilliant event with massive history, massive atmosphere and it is a race that everyone wants to win, but we all know the limitations of the track.

The track's tight walls makes it vitually impossible to overtake

“People often say why don’t you change the tyre strategy, or things like that, but the teams adapt.

“You need to avoid the sort of trickery – having bits that you have to go on several times a race, or in some racing series where you have to divert and go through an overtaking area.

“I don’t think we should do any of that. But we will certainly look at the track. It will not be the first time that someone has tried to make changes and nobody has got anywhere so far.

“But we do have tools now, our simulation tool for example, and our people will certainly see if there is something we can do.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *