Thomas Markle accuses ‘cold’ Meghan of treating him ‘worse than an axe murderer’

Video LoadingVideo UnavailableClick to playTap to playThe video will auto-play soon8CancelPlay now

Get our daily royal round-up direct to your inbox

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

Meghan Markle’s father Thomas has accused the Duchess of Sussex of ‘treating him worse than an axe murderer’ after cutting him off.

The 76-year-old has never met son-in-law Prince Harry and is estranged from his daughter Meghan Markle, though continues to make public calls for her to get in touch.

Following the birth of the couple’s baby girl, Lilibet Diana Mountbatten-Windsor, last week, Thomas sat down with Australia’s 60 Minutes to talk about his fractured relationship with his 39-year-old daughter once again.

“Of course it hurts, there are axe murderers in prison and their family comes to see them,” he said.

"I’m not an axe murder.

Thomas spoke on Australia's 60 Minutes this weekend
(Image: 60minuetsAustralia/Twitter)

“I made one dumb mistake and I’ve been punished for it. This show they’ve been on, they talk about compassion, there’s no compassion for me, no compassion for my family, and no compassion for the world.”

During the interview, Thomas took aim at Oprah Winfrey for “praying on weak” Prince Harry, despite never actually meeting him.

Read More
Related Articles


  • Queen 'given corgi puppy for birthday by Andrew' after last dog he gave her died

Read More
Related Articles


  • Prince Harry 'introduced baby Lilibet to Queen' via video call after return from hospital

He also insisted that while he was sorry for staging photographs with the paparazzi for a cash-in before Harry and Meghan’s wedding in 2018, he didn’t feel like he should keep being punished for it.

"I’m not bitter, I’m confused. I just don’t have the answer. I want an answer. If I had done something terribly wrong that would be fine but I haven’t. I just want an answer,” he told cameras, comparing himself to Prince Charles and Queen Elizabeth.

Harry and Meghan cut contact with Thomas in 2018
(Image: FACUNDO ARRIZABALAGA/EPA-EFE/REX/Shutterstock)

"I don’t know of anybody that’s that cold to do this, and now Meghan’s doing it to me and Harry’s doing it to his father.

"That’s a cold thing to do and it’s even more cold to do it to the Queen, who is in her nineties. That’s a cold thing to do.”

Over the past year alone, Thomas has accused Meghan of "cheapening the Royal family" and turning the institution into "a Walmart with a crown on it".

Thomas is continuing to fight to see his daughter

Read More
Related Articles


  • Inside the female-founded hospital Meghan Markle and Prince Harry welcomed Lilibet

Read More
Related Articles


  • Harry 'introduced baby girl to Queen' via video call after return from hospital

He also admitted that he still makes money from the snaps that effectively ended his relationship with Meghan, but insists he did them in the first place to ‘repair his image’ in the public eye, and not to hurt his daughter.

In January, he announced plans to make a documentary about raising Meghan and life within their family.

The new conversation also saw Thomas take aim at Oprah Winfrey
(Image: 60minuetsAustralia/Twitter)

In March, he threatened the couple with the vow that he will continue to talk to the press every 30 days until Harry and Meghan agree to talk to him.

But despite all this, he stated in the new interview he hopes they can mend their rift and he can finally meet his grandchildren.

"August 4, 40 years ago, Megan was born by c-section and I was the first one to hold her in my arms,” he said. “I fell in love with her and I’ve been that way ever since. I will be very disappointed if I don’t get to hold my granddaughter."

He acknowledged that he disappointed to find out that Lilibet was born via the official statement, and not beforehand.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *