Richard Madeley says permanent position on Good Morning Britain is ‘not on the agenda’

Video LoadingVideo UnavailableClick to playTap to playThe video will auto-play soon8CancelPlay now

Get the biggest TV headlines straight to your inbox

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

Richard Madeley has insisted that is hosting duties on Good Morning Britain will never be permanent.

In recent months, the 65-year-old TV star has appeared on the show alongside co-star Susanna Reid as ITV bosses have scrambled to fill Piers Morgan’s shoes following his explosive exit back in March.

While viewers have been speculating about bosses giving Richard a permanent position on the show as his popularity continues to increase, the star says ‘it’s not on the agenda’.

During Monday morning’s instalment of Lorraine, Richard was quizzed on his Good Morning Britain stint.

And while host Lorraine Kelly, 61, was hoping that her fellow ITV co-star would confirm his position following Piers’ exit, she was left disappointed when Richard admitted that he doesn’t see himself as a permanent host on Good Morning Britain.

During Monday morning’s instalment of Lorraine, Richard was quizzed on his Good Morning Britain stint
(Image: ITV)

Read More
Related Articles


  • Richard Madeley blasts Prince Harry’s comments about royals as ‘deeply embarrassing’

Read More
Related Articles


  • Lorraine viewers distracted by ‘moody passerby' as show heads outdoors in heatwave

“I mean, I’ve been filling in for Piers for quite some time now. Since 2017, so around about four years now,” Richard recalled.

“Piers was meant to go to America last year before Covid, and I was meant to be filling in for him quite a lot last year. But of course, all of that went west because of the virus, and he didn’t go anywhere – well, he did eventually.

“So, those opportunities were shut down but now I have been invited back and I’m loving it. It’s such a lovely team and I get along really well with the other presenters like Susanna and Ranvir and Charlotte – I love working with them.

Richard admitted he was only there to 'fill in' for Piers
(Image: ITV)

Addressing the future of his Good Morning Britain duties, Richard went on: “Forever is not on the agenda.

“I’m basically just doing what I have done before which is filling in for Piers.

“I know I will be here for another couple of months on and off, into August at least, but beyond that who knows.”

Lorraine was disappointed to hear Richard may not be staying on in his GMB role
(Image: ITV)

It comes after Richard recently found himself embroiled in a row with Dr Hilary Jones over the delaying of lockdown.

The government had pinpointed Saturday June 21st as the day that lockdown would be lifted fully, but medical experts have said that it is too soon due to the rise of the Indian variant.

The TV star has been filling in for Piers since 2017
(Image: Ken McKay/ITV/REX/Shutterstock)

Read More
Related Articles


  • Richard Madeley says Covid wedding restrictions has ‘really screwed up’ son and fiancée

Dr Hilary had agreed with the suggestion that it should be delayed, but Richard had interrupted as he asked: "But Dr Hilary, it's going to be months and months until the entire country is vaccinated. So we stay like this until the autumn?"

"I know it's a nuisance for people," Dr Hilary said.

Richard retorted: "It's more than a nuisance!"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *