Ollie Robinson handed eight-match ban over offensive historic tweets

Video LoadingVideo UnavailableClick to playTap to playThe video will auto-play soon8CancelPlay now

Get email updates with the day’s biggest stories

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

England and Sussex bowler Ollie Robinson is free to resume playing cricket after being deemed to have served his suspension following an investigation into historical racist and sexist tweets.

The Cricket Discipline Commission announced he has been handed an eight-match ban, five of which are suspended for two years, for "a number of offensive tweets" between 2012 and 2014.

However, the panel has taken into account Robinson's suspension from the England team and two Vitality Blast matches, leaving Robinson free to play immediately, although he was also fined £3,200.

The 27-year-old had admitted breaching two ECB directives in relation to a number of offensive tweets posted when he was aged between 18 and 20.

Robinson is free to resume his cricket career
(Image: Getty)

The tweets came to light on June 2, the opening day of Robinson's first Test match for England.

Robinson had withdrawn himself from selection for Sussex following the suspension imposed by the England team for the second Test against New Zealand.

According to a statement, the panel considered significant mitigation, including the time that had elapsed since the tweets were posted, and a number of personal references to show how Robinson is a different person now than when the tweets were sent.

Read More
Related Articles


  • ECB should widely distribute Michael Holding's book if they're serious about educating racism

Read More
Related Articles


  • Eoin Morgan claims historic tweets were "sign of respect" after messages criticised

Robinson said: "I fully accept the CDC's decision. As I have said previously, I am incredible embarrassed and ashamed about the tweets I posted many years ago and apologise unreservedly for their contents.

"I am deeply sorry for the hurt I caused to anyone who read those tweets and in particular to those people to whom the messages caused offence. This has been the most difficult time in my professional career for both my family and myself.

"Whilst I want to move on, I do want to use my experience to help others in the future through working with the PCA."

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *