Boris Johnson has condemned the racial abuse that England players have received on social media following their defeat in the Euro 2020 final on Sunday.
The Prime Minister said the England team "deserve to be lauded as heroes, not racially abused on social media."
In a statement posted to Twitter, Mr Johnson added: "Those responsible for this appalling abuse should be ashamed of themselves."
The social media giants whose users abused players within minutes of the match ending have faced pressure to take action.
Tory MP Tom Tugendhat condemned tech companies for allowing the racist abuse to be published on their platforms, saying that firms have "algorithms that target ads to you but won’t stop the racist abuse against some exemplary young men".
Mr Tugendhat, chairman of the foreign affairs select committee, said that those who write the posts are "pathetic and deserve to be identified and face the public consequences", while "those who publish it are profiting from hate."
His comments come as the Football Association said that social media companies "need to step up and take accountability", including taking action to "ban abusers from their platforms".
The England team have said they are "disgusted" after Bukayo Saka, Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho, who missed the penalties in the shoot-out against Italy, were all subjected to racist abuse.
Saka, who missed the decisive penalty, was abused on his Instagram account on Sunday night, only minutes after the game had finished.
The FA also condemned the posts, saying it was "appalled" by the abuse of players.
We’re disgusted that some of our squad – who have given everything for the shirt this summer – have been subjected to discriminatory abuse online after tonight’s game.
We stand with our players ❤️ https://t.co/1Ce48XRHEl
— England (@England) July 12, 2021
An FA spokesperson said: "The FA strongly condemns all forms of discrimination and is appalled by the online racism that has been aimed at some of our England players on social media.
"We could not be clearer that anyone behind such disgusting behaviour is not welcome in following the team. We will do all we can to support the players affected while urging the toughest punishments possible for anyone responsible.
"We will continue to do everything we can to stamp discrimination out of the game, but we implore government to act quickly and bring in the appropriate legislation so this abuse has real life consequences.
"Social media companies need to step up and take accountability and action to ban abusers from their platforms, gather evidence that can lead to prosecution and support making their platforms free from this type of abhorrent abuse."
The Metropolitan Police said it will be investigating the posts. In a tweet, the force said: "We are aware of a number of offensive and racist social media comments being directed towards footballers following the Euro 2020 final.
"This abuse is totally unacceptable, it will not be tolerated and it will be investigated."
Earlier in the tournament, England were booed by some of their fans for taking a knee against racism and discrimination.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan called on social media companies to do more to hold to account those responsible for sending online abuse.
He wrote on Twitter: "There is absolutely no place for racism in football or anywhere else.
"Those responsible for the disgusting online abuse we have seen must be held accountable – and social media companies need to act immediately to remove and prevent this hate."
Angela Rayner, Labour’s deputy leader, said the abuse demonstrates why England continue to take the knee:
Anybody racially abusing Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka on social media tonight is not a patriot. *You* are why they take a knee. Racist cowards should feel the full force of the law and social media companies must do more to keep this poison off their platforms.
— Angela Rayner (@AngelaRayner) July 12, 2021
In May, Rashford highlighted racial abuse he received on social media his Manchester United team lost the Europa League final.
It is the second time within a couple of hours that the FA has issued a statement criticising England fans after some supporters without tickets got in to Wembley and forced their way into the stadium before kick-off.
The FA denounced those who pushed their way in as "an embarrassment" and vowed to work with authorities to "take action" against them.
In a statement posted on Twitter, a spokesperson said: "We strongly condemn the behaviour of a group of people that forced their way into Wembley Stadium before the Euro 2020 Final. This is entirely unacceptable.
"These people are an embarrassment to the England team and to all of the true fans who wanted to enjoy one of the most important matches in our history."
After the match, riot police could be seen breaking through crowds outside Wembley Stadium as fans departed.
Beer bottles were thrown amid chants against Italy and the Metropolitan Police said there had been 45 arrests by officers policing the final.
The force said: "A number of officers remain on duty, helping fans leaving Wembley or central London. We are there to look out for your safety."
Police also confirmed they are investigating after footage was posted online appearing to show people being punched and kicked inside the stadium.