Prince Charles praises ‘rich diversity’ after England players racially abused

Prince Charles has praised ‘rich diversity’ after yesterday’s Euros 2020 game (Image: PA)

Get our daily royal round-up direct to your inbox

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWe use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time.More infoThank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

Prince Charles has praised 'rich diversity' after yesterday's Euros 2020 game.

This comes as England team players Bukayo Saka, Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho were targets of racist abuse after England lost to Italy on penalties in the Euro 2020 final last night (July 11).

After the match, Prince Charles said: “Recognising the rich diversity of cultures which make this country so special – and in many ways unique – lies at the heart of what we can be as a nation."

He added: "Well done @England on your fantastic #Euro2020 performance! You made us proud."

Prince William also spoke out today, condemning the "abhorrent" racist abuse aimed at the England players.

Prince Charles praised the 'rich diversity' of the England team

He said: "I am sickened by the racist abuse aimed at England players after last night’s match. It is totally unacceptable that players have to endure this abhorrent behaviour.

"It must stop now and all those involved should be held accountable. W."

Prince William headed to watch the Euros final at Wembley with Kate and their son Prince George.

The teams were drawing 1-1 even after extra time, so the game headed to penalties, where Italy beat England 3-2.

Prince Charles has spoken out after last night's match
(Image: PA)

Following the game, Prince William wrote on Instagram: "Heartbreaking. Congratulations @Azzurri on a great victory.

"@England, you've all come so far, but sadly this time it wasn't our day. You can all hold your heads high, and be so proud of yourselves — I know there's more to come. W."

The FA has condemned the vitriolic comments towards the England players, describing it as 'disgusting behaviour'.

A statement it released said: "The FA strongly condemns all forms of discrimination and is appalled by the online racism that has been aimed at some of our England players on social media.

"We could not be clearer that anyone behind such disgusting behaviour is not welcome in following the team.

"We will do all we can to support the players affected while urging the toughest punishments possible for anyone responsible."

Some of the England team have received vile racist abuse after last night's game
(Image: Getty Images)

Unfortunately the aftermath of the match saw Marcus Rashford's mural in Manchester defaced.

Graffiti is splashed across the mural, leading the Chief Superintendent Paul Savill, of GMP's City of Manchester division, to condemn the behaviour as "disgraceful".

He said: "This is disgraceful behaviour and will absolutely not be tolerated.

"Greater Manchester prides itself on being made up from a number of diverse communities, and hate crime in any form is completely unacceptable and not welcome here in our city."

London Mayor Sadiq Khan has called on social media companies to do more to hold to account those responsible for sending online abuse.

He wrote on Twitter: "There is absolutely no place for racism in football or anywhere else.

"Those responsible for the disgusting online abuse we have seen must be held accountable – and social media companies need to act immediately to remove and prevent this hate."

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *