Children’s football coach arrested for ‘inciting race hate’ over Marcus Rashford tweet

Nick Scott, 50, denied targeting the Three Lions hero with the vile message (Image: Facebook)

What next for England? Get your latest news on the Three Lions direct to your inbox

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign UpWe use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time.More infoThank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

A children's football coach has been arrested on suspicion of inciting racial hatred after he sent a vile tweet to England player Marcus Rashford.

It comes as a second man, in his 60s, from Shropshire, was also arrested before being released after racist comments appeared on Facebook.

Dad-of-two Nick Scott denied posting the message telling the forward to "get to ya own country", claiming he had been hacked after the Euro 2020 final.

The 50-year-old, from Powick, near Malvern, Worcestershire, has since been released under investigation by West Mercia Police.

Inspector Pete Nightingale, from Worcester police station, said: "We encourage people to make these reports and are pleased with the speed at which we have been able to deal with this incident.

"We continue to work with the local football community and have links with the local clubs to ensure that this behaviour is dealt with appropriately."

Marcus Rashford carries a note before taking his penalty
(Image: POOL/AFP via Getty Images)

He added anyone who is a victim of a hate crime should get in touch via the force's online reporting function.

The tweet was posted from Scott's account at 10.56pm on Sunday – just minutes after the 23-year-old Manchester United star missed from the spot in the nail-biting penalty shoot-out.

It said: "@MarcusRashford that MBE needs burning ya fake. Pack them bags and get to ya own country."

Rashford's mural is repaired after it was defaced by vandals
(Image: Getty Images)

It was followed up at 12.43am on Monday with a tweet which read: "I need to apologise @MarcusRashford but I'm still very angry. but not with you."

The tweet attracted more than 500 replies from outraged football fans demanding the author be banned from ever watching or taking part in the sport.

Prior to his arrest, Scott denied sending the tweet, claiming his account had been hacked.

Rashford was visibly distraught after hitting the post with England's third penalty
(Image: UEFA via Getty Images)

He said: "I've had to delete my account this morning because I was hacked.

"I would never tweet anything like that. I'm just a football fan."

Mr Scott has a YouTube page and describes himself as an 'Away Day Videographer' following Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Raheem Sterling, Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka have all received racist abuse on Twitter
(Image: Getty Images)

Three Lions manager Gareth Southgate described the racist online abuse directed at some of England's players after the defeat to Italy as "unforgivable".

Rashford, Bukayo Saka and Jadon Sancho were all targeted by abusive posts in the wake of their missed penalties in the shoot-out.

Figures within the sport, from the Government and even Prince William were united in their condemnation for the abuse, and Southgate said: "It's just not what we stand for.

Prince William is among those to publicly condemn the racism targeted at some England players
(Image: POOL/AFP via Getty Images)

"We have been a beacon of light in bringing people together, in people being able to relate to the national team, and the national team stands for everybody and so that togetherness has to continue."

The Duke of Cambridge, who is president of the Football Association, said he was "sickened" by the abuse.

"It is totally unacceptable that players have to endure this abhorrent behaviour," he wrote on Twitter.

"It must stop now and all those involved should be held accountable."

Twitter said it had proactively removed more than 1,000 posts over the past 24 hours which violated its policy and also taken swift action to permanently suspend a number of accounts.

Facebook, which owns Instagram, said it tries to remove harmful content as quickly as possible and encouraged people to use the tools it offers to block abuse.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *