Man arrested over racist tweets as police investigate after worker suspended from Savills

Harry Kane consoles England teammate Bukayo Saka (Image: POOL/AFP via Getty Images)

What next for England? Get your latest news on the Three Lions direct to your inbox

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign UpWe use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time.More infoThank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

A man has been arrested in relation to racist tweets sent to England players after the Euro 2020 final on Sunday.

Police have been investigating the discriminatory posts, aimed at Three Lions stars in the aftermath of their penalty shootout defeat to Italy.

Now a 37-year-old man from Ashton upon Mersey has been taken into custody at Cheadle Heath police station on suspicion of an offence under the Malicious Communications Act.

Detective Inspector Matt Gregory of Greater Manchester Police's Trafford division said: "The actions of a small number of people overshadowed what was a hugely unifying event for our country on Sunday evening.

"We are firm in our commitment, any racist abuse whether online or off is not acceptable.

England's stars did their country proud on the pitch but their success has been tainted by the abuse
(Image: Getty Images)

"We now have one man in custody and our investigation continues."

Marcus Rashford, Bukayo Saka and Jadon Sancho were targeted online after all three players missed penalties during the shootout.

Twitter claimed they had removed 1000s of comments related to racism.

This past week a worker was suspended by Savills estate agents amid an investigation into posts published from his Twitter account.

Read More
Related Articles


  • ITV hit with complaints following Gary Neville's Euro 2020 semi-final rant at Boris Johnson

Read More
Related Articles


  • Mike Tindall describes 'disgraceful' Wembley scenes after breaking up bloodbath fight

The individual, Andrew Bone from Sale, Cheshire, has been in touch with police after claiming his account was hacked.

A Savills spokesman said: "Savills confirms that the staff member connected with the racist comments placed on Twitter claims that his account was taken over by a third party and that the matter is being referred to the Greater Manchester Police.

"Savills has acted swiftly and confirms that the individual is suspended from duty pending the findings of this investigation, which is being progressed as a priority. Savills has a policy of zero tolerance on any form of racial abuse or discrimination.'

Andrew Bone went to the police claiming his Twitter account had been hacked
(Image: Jam Press)

England manager Gareth Southgate defended his players in the wake of the abhorrent abuse aimed at them.

“For some of [the players] to be abused is unforgivable really,” Southgate said. “I know a lot has come from abroad. People who track those things have been able to explain that. But not all of it.

“It’s just not what we stand for. We have been a beacon of light in bringing people together in people being able to relate to the national team, and the national team stands for everybody and so that togetherness has to continue.

"We heal together as a team now, and we’re there for them, and I know that 99% of the public will be as well."

West Mercia Police have also arrested children's football coach Nick Powell, 50, from Powick, near Worcester, on suspicion of inciting racial hatred following an investigation into tweets aimed at Rashford.

He has since been released under investigation.

GMP have urged anyone with information relating to discriminatory posts to contact 0161 856 4973, quoting incident number 109 of 12/7/2021.

You can also anonymously contact the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *