Man behind racist slurs of England players complains he’s now the one being abused

Video LoadingVideo UnavailableClick to playTap to playThe video will auto-play soon8CancelPlay now

Get email updates with the day’s biggest stories

Invalid EmailSomething went wrong, please try again later.Sign upWe use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time.More infoThank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy notice

A window cleaner behind racist slurs posted about England players on social media has complained that he is now being abused.

Shaun Drewery made two sickening comments after a friend posted a photo on Facebook of the Three Lions Under 17s football team alongside their senior 1966 World Cup-winning counterparts.

The post was quickly picked up and shared across the site, including to a Black Lives Matter page, reports HullLive.

The North Ferriby Cleaning Services owner made the comments weeks before England's Euro 2020 final loss on Sunday – but they quickly re-emerged among the racism aimed at certain players.

Drewery's Facebook comments re-emerged amid the racist tirade aimed at senior Three Lions players
(Image: fa WS)

Mr Drewery initially claimed his phone had been stolen before admitting he made the posts in which he referred to the young players as "c****" – though said it was just "banter".

But after the backlash he's received, he now says he fears for his life, adding: "No one deserves this abuse."

He has seen his business page bombarded with zero-rating reviews after a Facebook page for traders in North Ferriby encouraged followers to post their views in him.

Drewery said he now fears for his life
(Image: hulldailymail WS)

The window cleaner said: "I wrote one flippant word, on a post that wasn't mine, which has been blown massively out of context.

"My friend posted this original post and me and my friend commented on it, four weeks ago.

"Yes, it was stupid tongue-in-cheek banter, again, not on mine or my friend's wall. I've had so many death threats."

He said he has had to install CCTV, dash cam and body-cams to protect himself.

"The police are involved about these threats and realise it has got out of control as tongue-in-cheek banter."

Racist abuse was targeted at Bukayo Saka, Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho after the trio all missed penalties during the nail-biting shootout against Italy.

Police subsequently made a number of arrests, including a 37-year-old Savills estate agent accused of sending racist messages from his Twitter account.

He has denied the accusations.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson was among those to quickly condemn the abuse.

He said: "To those who have been directing racist abuse at some of the players, I say shame on you and I hope you will crawl back under the rock from which you emerged."

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *