Police investigating Euro 2020 final disorder release images of wanted men

Detectives have released images of 10 men being sought by police in connection with violence and disorder at the Euro 2020 final.

The Metropolitan Police issued an appeal for help identifying "those who we think have questions to answer".

London’s hosting of the match between England and Italy saw ugly scenes, which included some ticketless fans storming the stadium.

Police said in a statement that after the match: "Officers began the painstaking process of reviewing hundreds of hours of CCTV and body-worn video content from Wembley Stadium and other key locations. The meticulous investigation will continue to identify further people of interest or indeed other offences which may have occurred."

Anyone who can identify the people in the released images is urged to contact the police.

Six other men from the photo issued by the Metropolitan Police of people wanted in connection with violence and disorder that took place during the Euro 2020 final

Credit: PA

Detective Sergeant Matt Simpson, from the Met’s Public Order Crime Team, said: "Following the scenes of disorder both at Wembley Stadium and in central London, we made a commitment that those responsible would face consequences.

"This investigation is in its very early stages and I am in no doubt that further appeals and arrests will follow. We also continue to support police action across the UK to identify those responsible for the racist and offensive comments posted on social media."

The Met said on Friday that two men, both aged 18, had been arrested on suspicion of stealing items that helped ticketless fans storm Wembley on the night of the final.

Former Met deputy assistant commissioner Andy Trotter has described the Wembley scenes as "a stain on our country’s reputation," while Jane Connors, the current deputy assistant commissioner,  said the final could have been abandoned if police had not stepped in.

England players were racially abused after the team’s defeat to Italy on penalties, prompting the Government to announce it is changing the terms of football banning orders to cover online racism.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *