‘The necrophiliac bedsit murderer is my husband, but I can’t carry on with this marriage’

The wife of a double murderer who sexually abused scores of corpses in a hospital mortuary described on Friday how she “couldn’t carry on” with their 22-year marriage after learning of his crimes.

Mala Fuller, 50, who married electrician David Fuller in Barbados in 1999, only learnt of the full extent of his necrophilia last month.

Her husband has been named one of the worst sex offenders in British legal history and is feared to have defiled hundreds of bodies at two hospitals in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, over a period of at least 12 years before his arrest last December.

“I’m not with him. I couldn’t carry on in that relationship,” Mrs Fuller admitted. “I’m too upset to even think about what was going on, I couldn’t live with it. You can’t imagine how distraught I am.”

It emerged on Friday that Fuller might have been stopped five years earlier had a hospital contractor not failed to reveal his criminal past to the NHS.

David Fuller appears at Maidstone Crown Court

Credit: STEVE FINN

Greg Clark, the Tory MP for Tunbridge Wells, led growing calls for a full public inquiry as the daughter of one victim told The Telegraph of the moment family liaison officers knocked on her door last month.

She said the news they shared about her mother had plunged her back into grief, filling her head with “horrific images” that she was unable to shift.

She said she wished “every single day” that she had not been told so she could remember her mother as she knew her.

A police helpline set up for anyone with information about the investigation had received around 80 calls by Friday morning.

Fuller, 67, was arrested last December on suspicion of murdering Wendy Knell, 25, and Caroline Pierce, 20, in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, in 1987. The "bedsit murders" remained unsolved until DNA evidence led police to his door.

Caroline Pierce, 20, was killed after being abducted outside her home in Grosvenor Park in Tunbridge Wells

Credit: PA

During a subsequent search of the home he shared with his third wife and 20-year-old son in Heathfield, East Sussex, detectives found hard drives containing hundreds of homemade videos shot inside a hospital mortuary, where he had sex with female corpses in the one area not covered by CCTV.

Police also found evidence that he had set up a hidden camera in the bathroom to spy on his sister-in-law when she visited.

Mrs Fuller has now moved out of the family home, telling MailOnline: “I could not stay in that house knowing what he did and what went on in there. I wanted to be alone and want to live my life alone.”

An opportunity to intercept Fuller in 2015 was lost when details of previously unknown convictions were not passed on to the NHS.

Fuller failed to mention his 1973 and 1977 convictions for burglaries when hired in 1989.

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks did not exist in 1989 but were eventually undertaken in 2015 by Interserve, a private company that had taken over Fuller’s employment contract in 2011.

However, his convictions were not flagged to the NHS, despite a requirement to do so.

Wendy Knell, 25, was found dead in her ground-floor bedsit in 1987

Credit: PA

An NHS source told The Telegraph: “It’s impossible to know what we would have done had we been told. However, that would have been the first opportunity for the trust to know that he had lied on his original application form.

“It was an opportunity that should have been there.”

The local trust has launched a review but eight local MPs are calling for a wider public inquiry to examine how he was able to carry out the attacks for so long.

Mr Clark said: “It’s beyond the resources and capability of a local NHS trust.

“The questions that are raised include local ones about how this was allowed to happen.

“But there are also national ones as to whether national policy was good enough, was stringent enough, and whether it could have happened in other hospitals across the country.”

Fuller is facing a whole-life term after admitting to the sexual assault and murders of Ms Knell and Ms Pierce.

He also admitted to 51 other offences, including 44 charges relating to 78 identified victims in two mortuaries, at the former Kent and Sussex Hospital, which closed down in 2011 and the Tunbridge Wells hospital in Pembury, which opened in 2010.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *